Redhill Camp - Northland
This Camp was opened in 1956, on land donated to the Methodist Church by Walton Chadwick particularly for the use of the youth of the Kaipara and surrounds.
Today the camp is in the process of refurbishment and over the last five years a dedicated management committee, with the help of community volunteers, have been engaged in completing a refurbishment program as funds have allowed.
Redhill Camp is on farmland 2 kms inland from the West Coast. It serves not only the local community, but over the years has served a broad variety of organisations. It is an excellent venue for a single day or stay-in Seminars, workshops etc ( away from the distractions of the built-up areas).
Redhill has a well-equipped range of facilities, with the kitchen having an ability to provide over 200 meals on occasions, with a commercial electric stove, cool room, etc. Sleeping facilities have forty-five bunks and can accommodate up to 100 people quite comfortably. Two large halls, two ablution blocks and a 4-hectare sports ground, and good coastal tramping area in the vicinity, gives Redhill a good name.
It is an excellent position for groups wanting a place to use for exploring the area from the Waipoua Forest to the Kaipara Harbour.
Unfortunately, a decade ago the camp was not used for a few years until five years ago, when a new management committee was formed to breath new life into the facility.
Since then, the camp has been gradually revitalized as funds permitted; now an internal upgrade is progressing well as funds permit, but more work is ongoing to complete some external maintenance.
- More interior improvements
- Some repairs to the weatherboard exterior
- Painting of the exterior.
However, the camp is extremely functional and many who have used the campsite in the last five years have reported great events.